Healthy eating habits are important for everyone, but especially for those recovering from an addiction. At The Farm Rehab, learning healthy living and personal wellness skills, including what to eat, is an important part of our addiction treatment. This healthy and nutritious recipe from our personal chef is a patient favourite.
4 x 4 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 sliced lime, 8 slices
½ cup of extra-virgin olive oil
Juice of 3 freshly-squeezed limes
1 clove of minced garlic
1 tsp of chili powder
¼ tsp of chili flakes
¼ tsp of sea salt
¼ tsp of ground black pepper
¼ cup of pure honey
Juice of 1 freshly-squeezed lime
½ tsp of dried parsley
¼ tsp of chili powder
¼ tsp of chili flakes
1 ½ cups of sodium-free chicken stock
1 tsp of low-sodium soya sauce
1 tsp of extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup of brown rice
1 chopped bok choy
1 diced red bell pepper
1 diced orange bell pepper
1 diced yellow bell pepper
1 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a shallow baking dish, whisk together the marinade ingredients. Add in the 4 chicken breasts and flip until the chicken is well coated in the marinade. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
3. In a medium saucepan, bring to a boil the liquids for the brown rice: 1 ½ of chicken stock, 1 tsp of soya sauce, and 1 tsp of olive oil. Rinse the rice well, and add it with the boiling liquid into a medium-sized baking dish.
4. Remove the chicken from the marinate and place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
5. Bake both the rice and the chicken in the 400°F oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until the chicken reaches and internal temperature of 165°F, and the rice is fluffy and cooked through.
6. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the glaze ingredients for the chicken and set aside.
7. Soak the chopped bok choy well to remove any grit. Add the chopped bok choy with the diced bell peppers in to a large mixing bowl and toss with 1 tbsp of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
8. Remove the chicken and the rice from the oven and increase the oven’s heat to broil, 475°F.
9. Brush the chicken with the prepared glaze and top with two lime slices. Broil the chicken until it starts to colour, about 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn the glaze. Remove from the oven.
10. Lower the heat of the oven back to 400°F. Spread the chopped vegetables onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and roasted until just tender, about 10 minutes.
11. Mix the roasted vegetables with the prepared brown rice and serve with the glazed chili lime chicken.