We understand that not everyone that walks through the doors of an addiction treatment centre wants to be there, or even believes they should be. After the initial shock of entering a program, many people settle in and are able to open up and participate in the program.
For individuals looking to enter a program, we have compiled some tips to help you succeed:
- Take note! Writing notes from the groups you are in as well as keeping a personal journal about your experience can help you in the future. Not only can you go back to them on hard days, but you can also go back to see truly how far you have come.
- Pack comfortable clothes! Rehab isn’t a fashion show. Pack for the season, but loose, comfortable clothing is best.
- You didn’t become addicted overnight, and you will not resolve your issues overnight either. In-patient addiction treatment is an important step to the rest of your life and you will need to take what you have learned with you for years to come.
- Participate in the groups! Participate and get involved with as much as you can while you are there. Not only will this allow you to get to know the other people around you, but you will get the most benefit from the program.
- Your main priority when in treatment is getting sober. Don’t worry about any other issues such as work, family, money, etc. None of these things will matter in the long run if you cannot get healthy.
- Don’t leave early! If you are having a hard day or two, don’t just throw in the towel and leave. Nobody is forcing you to stay in treatment, but at the same time, if you leave, you will never get the help you need to succeed.
- Have an open mind. There will be many things that are brought up to you that you may never have considered before. The more open you are to new ideas, treatment and relationships, the better.
- Allow yourself to feel. You are abusing drugs and/ or alcohol for a reason and we are here to help you look deep within yourself to find these reasons.
- Remember just getting to the finish line doesn’t mean you are cured! There is no cure for addiction; it needs to be worked on every day. Understand what aftercare programs are available and use them!
Contact us today to learn more about The Farm Rehab and how our in-patient addiction treatment program can help you.