Are you struggling to find the balance between career and family? You’re not alone. 58% of Canadians report feeling overloaded with the responsibilities of managing work life with home, family, friends, community, and their own physical and mental well-being.
We’ve all faced the challenge of time management at one point or another, but as the length of the average workday increases, commute times rise, and new technologies make it easier to stay connected, the balance between work and the rest of our lives has become even more difficult to maintain.
Achieving work-life balance means having equal or appropriate time for all the priorities in your life. To find out more about the state of your work-life balance, take our self assessment quiz.
Disclaimer: This is not a scientific test. This self assessment quiz is for informational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for professional mental health advice.
WORK-LIFE BALANCE QUIZ
Answer TRUE or FALSE to the following statements:
- I work more than 40 hours a week.
- I usually work through my lunch break.
- I regularly bring work home with me.
- I always check my work email outside of business hours.
- I feel like I have no control over my work life.
- I’m stressed out all the time.
- I frequently feel frustrated or anxious because of what is happening at work.
- I feel like every minute of my day is scheduled with something.
- I often feel guilty because I can’t make time for everything I want to do.
- My family often complains about the amount of time I spend at work.
- Sometimes I feel as though I’ve lost sight of who I am and why I chose my job.
- I’ve lost control of my temper in the workplace on multiple occasions.
- I can’t remember the last time I used all of my allotted vacation days.
- I’ve missed important family events because of work responsibilities or deadlines.
- My job leaves me feeling physically and emotionally exhausted.
Scoring: Give yourself one point for each TRUE answer.
If you scored between 0-5: Congratulations, you’re on the right track! You’re living a healthy work-life balance.
If you scored between 5-10: Be cautious. Aspects of your work life are negatively affecting your personal life. Now is the time to make changes before those challenges overwhelm you.
If you scored between 10-15: It’s time to take control. Your life is out of balance, and you need to make significant changes to reclaim your personal life.
To learn more about what you can do to make your work-life balance better, visit the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health & Safety’s website www.ccohs.ca